Is your home winterized? It’s not too late to ensure your home is ready to withstand the challenges that come with cold temperatures, snow, and freezing winds. Stay warm and save on energy costs with this checklist.
1. Seal Drafts: Check for drafts around doors and windows. Apply weatherstripping and use caulk to seal gaps or cracks to prevent cold air from seeping in.
2. Insulate: Proper insulation in your attic, walls, and floors helps retain heat and reduces energy loss.
3. Heating System: Schedule a professional HVAC service for your heating system. This ensures it runs efficiently and safely throughout the winter. And don’t forget a filter change!
4. Reverse Ceiling Fans: Switch your ceiling fans to rotate clockwise at low speed to circulate warm air near the ceiling down to where you need it.
5. Clean Chimneys and Fireplaces: Have your chimney cleaned and inspected. Ensure the flue is operating correctly to avoid potential fire hazards.
6. Protect Pipes: Insulate exposed water pipes to prevent freezing and potential burst pipes, which can lead to water damage and costly repairs.
7. Check Your Roof: Examine your roof for loose or damaged shingles and repair them promptly to prevent leaks and heat loss.
8. Windows and Doors: If you have storm windows and doors, install them for extra insulation and protection from the elements.
9. Gutters and Downspouts: Keep your gutters and downspouts clear of debris to prevent ice dams, which can damage the roof and siding.